Water Damage Frequently Asked Questions
Having your home damaged by water, whether by an act of nature or a manufactured accident, can be a traumatic experience. If it happens in the middle of the night, it’s especially problematic, and you might not know what to do. KIWI provides expert Water Damage Restoration Services and is available around the clock. You can call KIWI at any time of the day or night for 24/7 emergency dispatch and nearly 38 years of restoration experience. Our local water damage repair crew is IICRC certified, licensed, and fully bonded. Our technicians will immediately survey the damage and address your concerns. With our many years in the business of helping people recover from water emergencies, we know what to do to help minimize any long-term damage. Call our emergency hotline at 888-496-1585 at any time, free of charge.
After discovering water damage, take the following steps:
- Shut off the water source, if possible.
- Turn off electricity in the affected area to prevent electrocution.
- Contact a professional water damage restoration service.
- Document the damage by taking photos and notes for insurance purposes.
- Remove personal belongings from the affected area, if it’s safe to do so.
- Mold growth, which can cause respiratory issues, allergic reactions, and other health problems
- Exposure to harmful bacteria or contaminants in the water, especially in cases of sewage backups or floodwater
- Structural damage to the property, increasing the risk of accidents or collapses
- Electrical hazards, such as electrocution or fires caused by water coming into contact with electrical components
To prevent water damage in your home, consider the following tips:
- Regularly inspect and maintain plumbing systems, appliances, and fixtures.
- Clean and maintain gutters and downspouts to ensure proper water drainage.
- Install a sump pump in your basement to prevent flooding.
- Use water leak detectors to detect leaks early and prevent extensive damage.
- Inspect your roof for damage or leaks and repair any issues promptly.
- Ensure proper grading around your home to direct water away from the foundation.
A professional water damage restoration company uses specialized equipment, such as air movers, dehumidifiers, and moisture meters, to thoroughly dry the affected area. They monitor the drying process closely and adjust their methods to achieve the best results and prevent mold growth and secondary damage.
Not all affected materials need to be replaced after water damage. Some items can be restored, while others must be replaced. However, in severe damage or contamination, removing and replacing affected materials may be necessary to ensure the property’s safety and integrity.
Search By Zip Code
Find A Kiwi Services Near You