5 Things to Clean Before a Vacation
I am so excited to go on vacation next week, like really, really excited. I love traveling, seeing sights and escaping from the real world just for a little bit. But before I go on vacation, I clean the house to near perfection. Why? Because afterwards I don’t want to do anything except relax and recover, so I clean before the vacation. When I haven’t cleaned before a trip, I feel stressed seeing piles needing attention when I get back. It’s nice having clean clothes to wear, a freshly made bed to sleep in and fluffy towels after a shower. After traveling, I dump my things in the laundry room, kick off my shoes and find a cozy spot on the couch.
5 Things to Clean Before a Vacation
Most of my vacations have ended on a late Sunday evenings and I don’t have time to prep everything for the new week, so I simply need clean before I leave.
- Clean the Bathroom: If you’re like me, one of the first things you do when you get home is use the bathroom. I am not particularly fond of using the bathrooms on the plane or gas stations along the interstate; ridiculously small spaces and bugs are not my thing. And I always feel super gross after traveling and want to shower to get all of the travel off. Therefore a clean bathroom is a nice, welcoming place to degrossify.
- Pick up the Living Room: After travelling I’m in no mood to put stuff away. I use the living room as a dumping ground to hold the luggage, souvenirs, purses, snacks and everything else until I feel like putting them away. It’s nice have a large clean space to unpack luggage and immediate start sorting piles of laundry. That and not stepping on a rouge Lego.
- Do the Dishes: After a diet of candy, soda, chips and fast food for a day, finding and using real dishes to eat real food whatever is in the fridge is just plain nice. Even if it is just a bowl of cereal (the only reason airport food tastes good is because you’re tired and desperate). Also, food is harder to get off after it’s been sitting for a few days and it starts to stink.
- Do the Laundry: I like clean clothes before, during and especially after a trip. I pack just enough clothes for the trip so then I have a few outfits after so I don’t need to do laundry immediately to survive. Oh, and nothing is better than a freshly made bed with crisp sheets and clean, fluffy towels. ‘Nuf said.
- Clean the Bedroom: Help your mind settle after a trip with a clean room. Just looking at a freshly made bed is relaxing but sleeping in one is even better. I find it nice to not have to fight the path to my bed then throwing stuff off of it.
It maybe a hassle to do theses things before but for me, it is necessary for my mental sanity. A clean home helps me to relax back into my regular routine and start the new week.
What do you clean before a vacation?
14 thoughts on “5 Things to Clean Before a Vacation”
Exactly the same….I don’t want to come home from a vacation and have to clean the house to feel comfortable. I always leave some bleach in the toilet bowl too and pop some drano down the drains so I come home to sweet smelling home. Make sure rubbish bins are emptied and cleaned or at least soaking. Empty the fridge of perishables too.
I also do a few things around the garden so things don’t pile up while I’m away.
I always have to clean before we leave on vacation because we have someone stay at the house to take care of our dog. We don’t have trouble finding someone to stay because most people will take a week at the beach if all they have to do is walk the dog. But, I always feel exhausted by the time we leave – changing all the linens, final sweep, final watering the garden.
Me too, but it’s totally worth it. We came home late from the airport and it was so nice to have a place to dump our luggage before getting into bed.
Seriously, my house has to be spotless before we go away. You will find me cleaning the bathroom after we shower as were getting ready to walk out the door. I love a really clean house. So, when I come home from vacy., it is nice to walk in to a nice clean house. First thing I do when I get home is open windows. Then unpack and do laundry. There is never any trace of us being away by time I go to bed. Great post!!!
I do the same things. The last thing I do before leaving is vacuum and clean the floors. It is so relaxing to come home to a clean house. Thanks for the tips.
You’re welcome. Thanks for visiting!
I’m with you – it is so much nicer to come home to a clean house. I always try to do the sheets the day (or at least the day before) we leave. It’s so nice to sleep in your own bed again after vacation, and even better if the sheets are clean!
I LOVE this post! I’m a huge cleaner so this is right up my alley 🙂
Thanks for linking up this post to The Best Blog Recipe’s Weekend re-Treat #7!
Wanted to stop by and pin your image to My Link Parties Craft/DIY & Recipe Boards while I was here.
Hope to see you link up again at the party this weekend!
This is so true! It is so much nicer to come home to a cleaner home then coming home to a mess! Thanks for the tips, and also for linking up this week to Crafty Tuesday. 🙂
Getting ready to head to North Carolina for spring break… great info and tips. Loooove coming home to a clean house.
Thanks for stopping by! Have fun in NC.
Nice list, yes, anything that can start to smell, gotta make sure those items are clean before leaving!