How to Clean Area Rug Fringe
We all want to keep our area rugs in their beautiful new appearance, but the most challenging part is keeping the rug fringe clean. As a rule, the fringe is white or cream in color, and over the years of use, the brightness of the fringe naturally dulls, and they gradually take on a gray or yellow color which detracts from the beauty of the rug and, therefore, they need to be cleaned.
Fringe can be tricky to clean at home, but with the proper cleaning techniques, you can do it easily and effectively by following these steps:
1. Using a vacuum cleaner, remove any dirt or debris that may be lodged in the fringe before cleaning it. This will make the cleaning process easier and more effective.
2. Mix a small amount of mild detergents, such as a gentle laundry detergent, with water in a spray bottle. Spray the solution onto the fringe and gently work it into the fibers using a soft brush. Be sure not to saturate the fringe, as too much water can damage the fibers.
3. Using a clean, dry towel, blot the fringe and remove excess water using a gentle patting motion so as not to damage the fibers.
4. After cleaning the fringe, let it air dry completely.
5. Once the fringe is dry, use a soft brush to groom the fibers and bring them back to their natural shape.
It’s important to note that these steps are for cleaning the fringe of natural fiber rugs. If you have a silk rug, you should consult with a professional rug cleaner like Kiwi services. You should also read the rug’s care label or consult the manufacturer to ensure that you use the right cleaning methods.